Thursday, July 24, 2008

Thing #8 RSS Feeds

I like the RSS feed very much. I am a "surfer" by nature and this will slash the time I have been going to sites reading each day. I noticed some of my favorite reading sites do not have RSS feeds but still stick with the daily email article links. I had to learn that you could not automatically make them an RSS feed. A URL does not an RSS make.

I can use this for news, health info, pleasure reading, blog reading, weather info, you name it. I can use it for school news, views, district updates, curriculum news, anything in the blogs that will keep me informed. I will continue to add RSS feeds and weed out the ones that are not usable to me in the future.

Library techs/teachers can teach the students how to set up their own readers at an early age and it can follow them as they change subjects, needs in academics and how to appreciate world news through RSS feeds. The kids of today will feel a newspaper is old news by the time it gets to the doorstep.

I added more to my Google Reader than I could ever go through in a days time but at least it is there ready for me to decide what I want to read. I don't have to hunt. Now, when I have more time, I will work on folders and getting the feeds organized.

Good lesson!

1 comment:

Mamalibearian said...

I don't know what I did before I started using my feed. All that time spent searching and visiting the same old things that weren't new! Glad you like this!